Thursday, May 6, 2010

The People Must Have Something Good To Read Other Than Punknews

The older I get, the more bitter and jaded I get. This twangy steel-guitarish chorus was running through my head as I was making coffee this morning:

I'm old, and I'm punk, and I'm bitter
I hear you thinkin' that's just sad and wrong
But those hipster bearded fucks are lately gettin all the luck
and I'm just sittin' here playin' a country song

Sometimes my head writes songs when I'm not paying attention. I either turn them into something useful and eventually record them, or I just scoff and throw them away and laugh at the silliness of me writing a random song to encapsulate what I'm thinking.

My main thought behind this is that I've been trolling Punknews recently, and it seems like I can't really relate to a lot of the music covered on there. It's a major news source for a lot of kids, yet I feel so out of touch because I haven't heard of a lot of the bands on there, or the ones I have heard of seem so removed from punk that I don't really know why they are getting tons of press and hype lately. Plus, the cool new awesome DIY bands that I know of around the US never get any coverage on there. It's confusing. Luckily there are tons of different places to get "punk" news so I can, and do, usually go to those sources, because they actually cover bands that I care about, and not the next boy-band-disguised-as-punk sensation hitting the warped tour.

All I'm saying is, don't get all your news from one source because then you'll end up with a narrow skewed view of what IS. That's good advice for any kind of news, not just news of the punk variety.

1 Comments:

At May 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Danny said...

Just because you have good taste in music doesn't mean you're out of touch, my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home